1997 J Boats 53' (16.15 m) J/160
Vineyard Haven, Massachusetts, United States
Refit Year: 2014 TRUE LOVE
Very few yachts are as extensively upgraded and re-fit as this exceptional J/160. While you must read the full specifications to fully understand the extent of work done since 2014 just some of the highlights include new upgraded 115 hp Yanmar 2014, new cabin sole 2104, new generator 2019, complete
- Fiberglass Hull
Very few yachts are as extensively upgraded and re-fit as this exceptional J/160. While you must read the full specifications to fully understand the extent of work done since 2014 just some of the highlights include new upgraded 115 hp Yanmar 2014, new cabin sole 2104, new generator 2019, complete Awlgrip job 2019 including hull, deck and mast but the full list of upgrades is too impressive for the lead in to the listing. The are enumerated in detail and then a a full summary list within the full specs. Too many people hear J Boats and think racing...think again! The J/160 was designed as a couple friendly performance cruiser. Several have done multiple circum-navigations and virtually all of them have cruised to the Caribbean and much more of the North Atlantic Basin.
LOA: 52' 10'' (16.10 Meters)
Type: Sail- Used
Refit Year: 2014
Beam: 14' 6''
Double Berths: 3
Maximum Speed: 10 MPH
Cruise Speed: 9 MPH
Fuel Type: Diesel
Hull Material: Fiberglass
Fuel Tank: 95 Gallons (359.61 Liters)
Fresh Water: 157 Gallons (594.31 Liters)
Holding Tank: 48 Gallons (181.7 Liters)
Dry Weight: 29000
Photos click to view all
- Engine Make: Yanmar
- Engine Model: 4JH4HTE
- Engine Year: 2014
- Drive Type: Direct
- Power HP: 115.00
- Fuel Type: Diesel
- Hours: 500.00
- Hours Date: 10-01-2021
- Generator Make: Mase
- Generator KW: 6.50
- Generator Hours: 100.00
- Generator Date Hours Recorded: 10/01/2021
Vessel Walk Thru
As richly appointed as any custom yacht, the J/160 interior features a fully varnished teak interior with varnished teak and holly soles. The cabin sole is new in 2020 and the balance of the interior was refinished in 2014. There is an abundance of natural light and ventilation with sixteen opening ports, five hatches, and two large polished stainless steel dorades. She is also equipped with three units of reverse cycle air conditioning (heating & cooling) as well as diesel cabin heater when one wishes to to avoid the use of the generator. Superb 12 Volt interior lighting (all lighting replaced with Hella LED lighting 2016 on red/white switches) throughout with numerous overhead dome style lamps and swivel reading lamps at all berths and settees. 6'-4" headroom throughout.
Starting forward, the Owner's Stateroom features a pullman style berth to port with several drawers under while opposite to starboard is additional storage in a large hanging lockers and drawers associated with a desk. Froward of the stateroom is the private owner's head with separate stall shower, upgraded W.C. and vanity with sink and storage.
Next aft of the Owner's Suite is the Main Salon with a large U-shaped settee to port and straight settee to starboard. Outboard of both settees are lockers and book cases which include custom features including wine locker 2016 with recessed lighting . Dining is from a large pedestal table with storage compartment within that could easily seat eight also custom built in 2016.
The J-Shaped Galley adjoins the Salon and is aft and to port and features extensive counter space with a deep double basin polished stainless steel sink with H&C pressure water as well as manual fresh faucet. Storage in several lockers and drawers. Chilled food stuffs are stowed in a large top loading as well as side loading refrigeration box and separate top load freezer compartment. Both are fitted with SeaFrost 12 volt refrigeration. Cooking is easily handled on a 4 burner gimballed Force 10 propane stove with oven (stove new in 2017)
Continuing aft to starboard is a Guest Stateroom, a large double berth with bureau, hanging locker and private head/shower access.
The Guest Head is located just forward with access opposite the galley and the starboard Guest Stateroom. cherry counter with polished stainless steel sink.
Opposite to port is a second Guest Stateroom with single berth with ample storage outboard and in bureau,
- Fusion stereo 2019
- All new berth matteresses 2018
- Courtesy lights
Sails and Rigging
This J/160 has the optional Hall Spars keel stepped, triple spreader carbon fiber rig in lieu of the standard aluminum mast and was Awlgripped white in 2019.
- Discontinuous rod rigging new in 2008
- Rigging inspection in 2019 including by x-ray, 7 pieces of rod replaced
- Furler Boom in boom furling system installed 2008
- Boom serviced and Awlgripped 2019
- All Running rigging replaced 2019 and 2020
- Custom Harken Jib roller furling
- Hall D-40 Quik-Vang
- Sailtech 22 integral hydraulic backstay
- (2) Lewmar 66 AST 3-speed ST primaries mounted in recesses on coamings
- (2) electric Lewmar 54ST 2 speed secondaries on house top 2019
- (2) Lewmar 50AST 2 speed mainsheet winches
- 1 Lewmar 48AST 2 speed self tailing halyard winch near mast stbd side
- SP Dyneema membrane mainsail with full battens 2017
- SP Sails 110% Dyneema hybrid radial jib% 2017 (SP sails is a European sailmaker with sim skills to North or Quantum)
- SP Sails code zero with furler 2014
- Quantum gennaker with ATN sleeve
- Inventory of older headsails and assymetric spinnakers
Fully equipped for regional cruising (a simple addition of satellite or SSB communications would have her ready to go offshore). All electronics except the VHFs and B&G instruments were new in 2019.
At Nav. Station:
- Raymarine Axiom Pro 12" color radar/plotter
- 1 i70 multi displays
- Icom M-411 VHF
- Raymarine Axiom 9" display at helm
- Raymarine Quantum Radome (mounted at lower spreaders)
- Raymarine Evolution autopilot
- 4 B&G 2020 FFDs at spray hood
- 2 Hydra FFDs at cockpit coaming breaks at port side
- 1 B&G Hydra and 2 Raymarine i70s at coaming break starboard side
- B&G depth and wind point and speed at forward end of cockpit at bridge deck
- Ritchie 6" magnetic compass
- ACR EPIRB
Wired for both 12 volt DC service and 110 Volt AC service. As part of an extended stay in Europe this J/160 had been converted to that service but was converted back to 110 on return to the US in 2020 (she was built to US 110 Volt standards). A Mase 6.5kw generator installed in 2019 showing 100 hours handles heavier loads while off the dock while a Mastervolt Inverter/Charger also 2019 handles lighter loads. The yacht had been converted to European electrical standard but was re-wired to her original US 110 Volt 60 cycle electrical standard winter of 2020/2021
The electrical conversion back to 110 volt was done by Paul Roell who was the electrician who did the J/65s at TPI.
12 Volt DC:
- Distribution panel with breakers 2021
- Digital Amp & Volt meters
- Balmar 170 amp alternator 2021
- (5) 100 amp hour Fiamm AGM batteries for house/inverter
- (2) 75 amp hour starting batteries 1 each for generator and engine
- (2) 75 amp hour bow thruster/windlass batteries
- Heart Link 200 battery monitor
110 Volt AC:
- Distribution panel with breakers 2021
- Digital amp and volt meters
- 30 amp shore power connection aft
- 50' 30 amp shore power cord
- 11 outlets
- Mastervolt Inverter/Charger 2019
- 11 gallon stainless steel hot water heater (also engine supplied) 2021
115 HP fresh water cooled 4JH4HTE Yanmar diesel new in 2014 along with the Kanzai KMH40A-G gear turns a 3 blade Gori prop on a 1.5" diameter shaft
- Dual racor fuel filters
- Engine compartment lighting
- Aquadrive thrust bearing
- PYI dripless shaft seal
- Spur cutter on shaft
- Edson engine controls
- New fresh water pump 2021
- HRO 150 gpd water maker 2016
- 3 Rule 2000 gph electric bilge pump
- High water alarm
- (2) Henderson MK-V manual emergency bilge pumps
- (2) macerator pumps
- 3 units Dometic reverse cycle air conditioning 2021
- VDO Gauges for 2 fuel and 2 water tanks
- Max Power retractable bow thruster 2015 overhauled in 2021
Hull and Construction
The J/160 is built using the patented TPI resin infused "SCRIMP" system with Aricraft grade end grain balsa coring. Vinylester resin used in exterior laminates for superior blister resistance. In 2019 this J/160 was Awlgripped Kensington Grey with a white boot stripe. Likewise the end grain balsa cored decks were Awlgripped white with Griptex in appropriate non-skid areas. and new toe rails were installed!
The bottom is fair and free of any paint build up and is finished with gray antifouling.
Expansive cockpit with bench seats P&S over 6'-6" long with a shallow locker to port . Large lazarettes P&S stow all the loose gear. Wide side decks with double stanchions and lifelines and gates P&S with double stainless steel bow and stern rails.
Of particular note is the creative light weight flip down swim platform, (see photos). This is easily flipped down and retrieved without mechanical assist and is supported by two Dyneema stays. This innovation provides a more useable space when swimming and area to unload passengers and gear from the dinghy.
- Lofrans vertical drum anchor windlass with chain and line drums
- 55 lb. stainless steel Rocna anchor and app 200' of stainless chain
- Large Fortress secondary anchor with rode
- Large sail locker forward
- Carbon Fiber steering steel and stainless binnacle guard
- Edson steering
- Cockpit cushions new 2018
- Teak overlay on cockpit sole
- Flip down swim platform 2016, great adjunct to the scoop transom, for easier boarding unloading gear from the dinghy etc.
- Large cockpit table 2016 seats six for dinner(see photos)
- Standard cockpit table
- H&C transom shower
- Large stainless steel Magma Grill
- Stainless swim ladder mounts to swim platform
- 6 Type V PFDs
- Flare Kit
- Avon 6 man liferaft (over due for inspection)
- 5 ABC dry chem fire extinguishers
- MOM 8A
- Horseshoe life ring
- Emergency tiller
- 5 fenders with covers and 6 braided docklines
- Manually deployed Passarelle
The extent of equipment replacements and refit work is impressive. One might as was this a result of flooding or other damage. The answer in NO; simply the consequnce of being owned by people who wanted to maintain her as if they would be her owners forever.
A year by year upgrade/extensive maintenance list follows:
- interior re-finished
- New and upgraded 115 HP Yanmar diesel vs. 88 HP standard with hydraulic gear
- New Force 10 Propane stove
- 2 new Jabsco electric fresh water heads and new hoses
- All interior lighting upgraded to LED red/white switch Hella lights
- Ebersbecher Airtronic diesel cabin heat added
- Teak overlay added to cockpit sole
- 1 new unit of Dometic reverse cycle air conditioning
- Max Power retractable bow thruster
- All new ports and hatches (with exception of aft hatch in Salon)
- Built large cockpit table
- Swim platform added
- New dodger and bimini
- HRO water maker
- New SP Sails mainsail
- New SP Sails 110% jib
- New cockpit cushions
- Rocna 55 lb stainless anchor and 200' stainless chain
- Hull Awlgripped Kingston Grey
- Decks including non-skid areas stripped and re-awlgripped white
- Mast and boom re-Awlgripped
- Replaced about 1/2 of running rigging
- New 4 burner Force 10 Propane stove
- New Harken electric secondaries for halyards
- Yacht returned to US via ship
- Replaced balance of running rigging
- New teak and holly cabin sole
- Converted back to US electrical standard including adding converter to generator
- New water heater
- New Dometic air conditioning
- New inverter/charger
- New 110 Volt panel
- New Dometic reverse cycle air conditioning
- Bow thruster overhauled
Engine and generator hours are as of the date of the original listing and are a representation of what the listing broker is told by the owner and/or actual reading of the engine hour meters. The broker cannot guarantee the true hours. It is the responsibility of the purchaser and/or his agent to verify engine hours, warranties implied or otherwise and major overhauls as well as all other representations noted on the listing brochure.
The company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change or withdrawal without notice.
Vessel Locations & Events
106 Lafayette Street
Yarmouth ME 04096 USA
Bill Full has been a broker with East Coast Yacht Sales since 1998, but his career in the marine industry spans four decades.
Raised around boats in Marblehead, MA, Bill was exposed to a wide range of both power and sailing yachts of the time. His father, well known marine surveyor, Giffy Full, made sure that Bill had experience on the water and in the industry from a young age. At 13, Bill had his first job on the waterfront helping an older gentleman sail his yacht. This led to jobs taking care of larger yachts in the area, working as Mate on the family passenger boats, doing a few shorter delivery jobs and a bit of commercial fishing.
After graduating from Maine Maritime Academy in 1976, Bill went on to work in the Merchant Marines for over 22 years including 13 years as Captain of some of the largest US Flag tankers ever built. Bill continues to hold an Unlimited Master Marinerâs License (Any Vessel, Any Ocean) and has several first class harbor pilotage endorsements and other professional credentials.
In between shipping assignments, Bill and his family could always be found cruising the various sail and power boats they or his parents owned. These days, when not assisting clients, Bill can be found racing or day sailing on his J/105 Persistence.
As a broker, Bill has handled the sale of a wide range of yachts and has been involved in custom new build programs. He has contributed to the marine industry by serving on the Board of the Yacht Brokers Association of America as well as being a Past President of the organization. He currently serves on the Certification Advisory Council for the Certified Professional Yacht Broker program.