1982 Bristol 38' (11.58 m) 38.8
Freeport, Maine, United States
This classic Bristol 38.8 is both comfortable and capable. Well maintained and has enjoyed numerous upgrades. Currently in the water and available for your inspection.
- Fiberglass Hull
- HIN/IMO: BTY000020882
This classic Bristol 38.8 is both comfortable and capable.
Well maintained and has enjoyed numerous upgrades.
Currently in the water and available for your inspection.
LOA: 38' 3'' (11.66 Meters)
Type: Sail- Used
LWL: 30' 7''
Draft Max: 10' 3''
Draft Min: 4' 6''
Fuel Type: Diesel
Hull Material: Fiberglass
Bridge Clearance: 58'
Fuel Tank: 36 Gallons (136.27 Liters)
Fresh Water: 90 Gallons (340.69 Liters)
Ballast Weight: 9000 lbs
Photos click to view all
- Engine Make: Universal
- Engine Model: MD5444
- Engine Type: Inboard
- Drive Type: Direct
- Power HP: 44.00
- Power KW: 32.81
- Fuel Type: Diesel
- Hours: 2700.00
Entering the boat down the companionway - you are immediately greeted by a bright varnished teak & holly sole, abundant varnished cabinetry throughout and brilliant natural light from the clear ports and hatches.
The Galley is immediately to port in a u-shaped arrangement. It is equipped with a three-burner stove located centrally, a double deep stainless sink facing forward with mixing faucet and separate spray nozzle. There is also a water filter for drinking water. A deep refrigerator is facing aft fitted with 12V refrigeration. There is plenty of storage with louvered door cabinets and custom teak holders for cups and glasses and knives.
To starboard and also aft is a long quarter berth that stretches under the cockpit. The berth also doubles as a seat for the fixed nav-desk that faces forward. The nav desk opens for chart storage and there is a set of four drawers for storage.
The main salon is amidships and features straight settees port and starboard, which pulls out for a wider berth. A beautifully varnished teak drop-leaf table is along the center-line, with bottle and cutlery storage in a compartment in the center of the table. Storage space is abundant in the main salon with storage compartments under the settees, two cabinets and bookshelves on both port and starboard. There is also a deep hanging locker and four further drawers to starboard. All of the cabinets and lockers have chromed hinges and beautiful teak louvered doors which were an upgrade from Bristol. The brilliant teak & holly sole is in excellent condition.
Forward of the main salon to port is the head compartment that is trimmed in teak also. There is a 2021 C-Head Composting Toilet, porcelain sink, four cabinets, large mirror on the bulkhead. Two opening ports provide ventilation to the head.
All the way forward is the master cabin that is fitted with an offset v-berth that has a removable filler that can be stored above the berth when not needed. There is a hanging locker, four drawers and sliding cabinets above the berth on either side. There is a large opening hatch directly over the berth that provides ventilation and natural lighting. Each berth is equipped with a variable speed fan.
Sails & Rigging
- 2020 Mack Pack sail bag and lazy jacks
- 2020 New mast step
- 2021 replaced standing rigging, including shrouds, stays and roller furler (Harken Ocean MKIV)
- 2021 Replaced Halyards (main, genoa and spinnaker) and topping lift.
- 2022 Tides Marine Sail Track
- 2022 Cleaned and stitched genoa and main sails.
- Nav Tec hydraulic back stay
- Stainless Steel chain plates rebedded in 2020
- Lewmar 48 primary winches, oversized
- Lewmar 40 cabin top winch (two speed main halyard)
- Lewmar 40 two speed halyard winch on starboard side of the mast
- Harken Roller Furler
- 165% Genoa High Cut 1997 excellent condition
- Dacron Mainsail (triple stitched) with two deep reefs 1997 excellent condition
- Asymmetrical Spinnaker with sock
- #1 Genoa
- Working Jib
- Storm Jib
- Dodger- 2015
- Cockpit awning with zippers on sides and back
- Large sunshade
- Spinnaker Pole
Electrical and Mechanical
- Switch panel with breakers
- Volt & Amp meters
- 2019 and 2022 Replaced Batteries
- 120 Volt AC
- Switch panel with breakers
- Volt & Amp meters
- 30 amp shore power connection aft
- 50' 30 amp shore power cord
- Water heater (also engine supply)
- Universal 5444 4 cylinder 44hp diesel auxiliary engine
- Fixed 3 bladed propeller with weed deflector
- 12v and 110v outlets throughout
- 175W inverter
- 300w inverter Heart Interface
- Link 20 battery monitor
- Newmar 30 Amp charger
- Trojan T-105 x 4 batteries
- Engine panel with custom LED alarm indicators
- Racor water LED
- Starter function LED
- Glow plug function LED
- Secondary Blower
- 2020 New transmission with oil cooler
- 2020 Balmar Battery Monitor
- 2020 replaced engine hoses, including exhaust and raw water.
- 2021 LED masthead anchor/tricolor light
- 2021 LED Steaming Light
- 2021 Replaced Mast Wiring
- Alpha Auto pilot linear drive below deck
- Garmin 4208 GPS Map Color Chart Plotter -2015- in navpod at helm
- Garmin GPS 75
- 2020 Garmin Radar
- ICOM VHF with DSC 2017
- Raymarine wind, depth, knotmeter 2017
- Kenwood CD player and radio with two pair of speakers, salon or cockpit with VHF feed
Hull & Deck
Solid fiberglass hull with vinylester resin in the outer most laminates. Fiberglass decks with molded in nonskid and balsa coring for added stiffness and weight reduction. One of the nice build details in the Bristol 38.8 is that the factory cut back the coring in way of primary deck penetrations and back filled with epoxy greatly mitigating the chances of moisture getting to coring in the event of a leak.
The exterior of the Bristol 38.8 is as nicely detailed as the interior. A generous cockpit with large sail locker to port and lazarette aft provides ample room for storage and seating. Wide side decks allow for ease of movement fore and aft. Varnished teak cockpit coamings, toe rails, grab rails and brow on the house give the yacht a look of elegance. Double stainless steel bow and stern rails and stanchions with double lifelines and gates P&S. A flip down stainless swim/boarding ladder is at the stern.
- SS dorades
- Stern swim ladder with teak steps
- Sea cocks replaced throughout with backing pads
- Tall toe rail package
- Custom rub rail with solid ss striker, re-bedded 2015
- Recent Awl Grip (Super Jet Black) double boot stripe
- Cetol finish on exterior teak, professionally stripped and recoated, 2016
- 3 burner propane stove with thermostat controlled oven
- 2 20# propane tanks
- Sentry gas vapor detector
- 12v refrigeration system
- Custom storage in cabinets
- Custom carving knife storage
- Emergency manual bilge pump
- Foot pumps at galley sink fresh/raw water
- H/C pressure water
- High water bilge pump
- Sump bilge pump
- Manual bilge pump in cockpit
- Cockpit shower, hot and cold
- Maxwell 800 Electric Windlass with capstan and wildcat
- 35# CQR type anchor 100' chain 100' nylon rode
- Stainless Steel Danforth Anchor with 150' nylon rode
- Custom stem fitting with double bow rollers.
- 2020 45# Spade Anchor
- 2022 Propane Tanks replaced,10 lbs. each
- 2021 Composting Toilet
- 2020 Sunbrella Cockpit Cushions
- 2019 6-person liferaft
- 2019 Fairclough Canvas Winer Cover
- Built in Hooka diving system, with 50' air hose
- Variable speed fans in owners, salon and quarter berth
- SERS diesel cabin heater bulkhead mounted
- Lee clothes
- Cockpit cushions
- Additional short nav desk cushion
- MOB pole
- Harnesses and jack lines
- Fenders with covers
- Clock and Barometer
- Trawler lamp
- Wind scoop
- Extensive documentation of the ships systems
Engine and generator hours are as of the date of the original listing and are a representation of what the listing broker is told by the owner and/or actual reading of the engine hour meters. The broker cannot guarantee the true hours. It is the responsibility of the purchaser and/or his agent to verify engine hours, warranties implied or otherwise and major overhauls as well as all other representations noted on the listing brochure.
106 Lafayette Street
Yarmouth ME 04096 USA
Like most of us at East Coast Yacht Sales, Kristofer has a passion for sailing and the ocean. He spent time as a kid sailing dinghies and cruising the coast of Maine with his family. Kristofer was born in Norway, his father's home country, but moved to Maine at a young age, where his mother is from. Growing up in Brunswick Maine, he spent his summers working at various yacht clubs, boat yards and marinas and spent winters ski racing for Carrabassett Valley Academy.Â
After graduating from Colorado College in 2000, Kris went to work for Hinckley Yachts. Soon after, Kris restored a 1973 Pearson 36 and sailed down to the Caribbean where he lived aboard and worked in the marina and charter boat industry.
Upon returning to Maine, Kris earned an MBA degree and worked for Harbor Technologies, a startup company in the marine composites industry, while also teaching composite boat building courses at the Maine Advanced Technology Center. In 2012 he had the opportunity to buy Buck's Harbor Marine, a small marina and charter boat business in Brooksville, Maine, which he owned and operated for several years.
In 2021 Kris moved from Blue Hill to Yarmouth, along with his wife and their three children, to join the East Coast Yacht Sales team. He is enthusiastic about all kinds of boats and enjoys helping clients find their perfect boat.